Saturday 30 July 2011

I'm off to the Ormond Provedore, dahlink!

So in terms of my writing, I have very many varied interests. I'm torn between a desire to lock myself in a room and pump out novel after novel... but then I'd also love to work freelance and review food, books, wines, shoes, whatever takes my fancy. This blog is about helping me refine these desires; sometimes it may be very serious, sometimes a rant, sometimes a bit whacky. If you're along for the ride I apologise in advance.

So today, after several days of being trapped in the house after recovering from surgery, I decided escape and the physical pain it would cause me was inevitable. Providence however came in the form of the Ormond Provedore, a cafe recommended to me by a friend and that had, by coincidence, also popped up on a restaurant review website I am fond of frequenting. I decided the effort of sitting, even for a short time, was going to be worth it to give this undiscovered local a go!

So the Ormong Provedore! What a fancy name! With it I had visions of dressing in black, big hair, stilettos, a pearl necklace and an oversized handbag exclaiming "I'm off to the Ormond Provedore to get some canapes, dah-link." So needless to say my torn tracksuit pants, ankle cast and stained hoodie probably didn't fit with the image I'd created for myself and the cafe.

So after convincing my sister of my desperate need to sample this treasure only two minutes from home, we headed out into the gloomy weather in search of (hopefully) good coffee and high quality produce.

We were not disappointed.

Shielded from busy North Road Ormond by a canopy, simple and fresh is how I'd describe the Ormond Provedore. Chocolate brown wainscoting adorns the white brick walls and the small cafe is scattered with wooden tables and chairs for at least twenty, plus a courtyard out back for sunny days.

Snuggled on a cushion covered wooden bench, light streamed through the windows and bounced off the bench to ceiling mirrors behind the counter. This created a bright atmosphere despite the gloomy day, and gave me plenty of light and warmth to enjoy my Saturday morning newspaper. The skinny latte was as good as any I've had - creamy and smooth, just strong enough and not too hot, and considering outside of the city coffee can be a bit hit and miss at times, I was glad this left no room for complaint. I was also lucky enough to select the Vegetarian Turkish Pied for lunch from the eclectic menu of cafe-style dishes and asian inspired delights. 

Ormond Provedore's
Vegetarian Turkish Pied - Delish!
Toasted to perfection, the vegetarian filling had a fresh mix of pale sweet potato, roasted red capsicum, caramelised onion, salty fetta and refreshing pesto balanced with some crispy spinach. I'm making a conscious effort at the moment to eat more vegetarian options, and had passed on an Asian Chicken burger with coleslaw as a result, but this was a tasty outcome.

With shelves adorned with home made jams, spreads and produce, I highly recommend the Ormond Provedore, and coincidentally, so do a lot of other people too! For those of you who are not locals, I am not overly sure it's worth the trip just to visit this little roadside cafe, but it's there as an option, open until 3.00pm seven days a week.

http://yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/ormond_providore/

Signing Out,

Tripping Tipsy.


No comments:

Post a Comment