Tuesday 1 January 2013

You Put Your Right Leg In...


A Memory...

Aunt Nutty, also known as Pinnochio
There are many things I remember about my family growing up. Good and bad, fun and sad, just like everyone else. With two younger sisters and a baby brother, there was never a lack of action but the majority of the truly heinous and wonderful memories involve my extended family. And my extended family are extensive, with some being bestowed titles depending on their quirks or dominant personality traits. For example, is it wrong that to this very day I casually refer to one of my aunts in conversation as "Aunt Nutty" and all of my friends know exactly who I'm talking about? Or maybe that is disturbing? Food for thought... I mean, the woman told us that she had terminal cancer at one point, only to be caught in a lie a few months into her non-existent chemo treatment... hmmm...

One thing I must express here, in writing for all of you, is that these posts regarding my family are all completely true and only occasionally embroidered/exaggerated for entertainment value. This particular snippet however, is 100% fact.

So, a memory of Aunt Nutty, who's real name I won't divulge because one must always work to protect children and the mentally deranged, in my opinion anyway.

An occasion for celebration. I think it was Christmas Day. Always chaotic, and always a chance for me and my cousin TJ to find mirth in everything. I enter the kitchen, where Aunt Nutty is hurrying from oven to sink to bench. She is alone, and walking freely in the haste one normally possesses when attempting to cater for 20+ people. After five seconds of bustle she notices my entrance and immediately slopes into a well-defined limp in her right leg. Neither of us acknowledged the fact that I've just witnessed her moving around without hinder, and so I hurry to assist her with the food. Finally, I can't help myself.

"Why are you limping, Aunt Nutty? Did you hurt yourself?" She looks at me in wide eyed amazement.


"Didn't you hear? I had a massive stroke!" I exclaim with the level of concern appropriate for when you know someone is lying, but you don't have the energy to call them on it.

"A stroke? Oh my god! When? How did I not know about this! You must have been in hospital for a while?"

"It happened a while ago, big blood clot on the right side of my brain," she tapped her head and nodded. "I thought your father would have told you."

Truth be told my parents were probably also unaware of her latest brush with death - they'd also been unaware of her fake-terminal cancer (I'd been sworn to secrecy as my mother was pregnant at the time and apparently wouldn't have been able to handle the stress of it all). So while I should have bitten my tongue and left the kitchen, I was in my late teens, extremely opinionated and prone to ranting... 

"Aunt Nutty, it's strange you're limping on your right leg." She looks at me while stirring some  sauce into a seafood dish that will later give several members of the family food poisoning.

"Why?"

"My best friend is a nurse, and she works with stroke victims. She said just the other day that if the stroke is on the right side, it is mostly the left side of the body that gets affected, so shouldn't your limp be on the left side?"

Now I have no proof that this is true, I think I'd heard it on TV, but the effect was very amusing.

"Oh well, my stroke was a bit different you know, very rare! I was lucky they were able to stop it at all. Also, I'm ambidextrous, so both sides of my brain work the same way, that probably had something to do with it." 

Ambidextrous indeed.

"Wow, it's pretty complicated brain surgery from what I've heard," I replied, "because they have to get the clot out as quickly as possible. They've managed to keep your hair intact though. Do you still have the stitches?" She paused, grasping for an explanation.

"Oh, umm, yes, well it can require surgery, but in my case I was able to get it fixed with medication. Like I said, very rare."

I respond with exclamations of brilliance aimed at her amazing doctor. Fancy being able to get rid of her big deadly blood clot remotely (and no doubt, miraculously)! I finally tire of the conversation, grab a drink from the Eski and head outside.

Three hours later, in the car on the way home, my little brother, GolfBoy, looks at my dad in all his eight-year-old innocence and asks,

"What was wrong with Aunt Nutty's left leg?"

Impressed with his attempt to know right from left, I seek to immediately correct him  -  he clearly had it confused with her right leg, only I was interrupted by my 16yo sister, PartyGirl.

"Oh yeah, that's what we were laughing at this afternoon!" I remembered wondering what all my cousins were giggling about as they lounged on the trampoline. She continues, "Yeah, she wasn't limping when we got there, and then she started limping on her right leg, but a few hours later she swapped to her left. What an idiot!"

"Yeah Dad," I pipe in, "She told me she had a massive stroke with a big blood clot on the right side of her brain, that was somehow resolved without the need for brain surgery. I told her that her limp was on the wrong side, so she swapped legs." My siblings cracked up laughing as my parents exchanged a knowing look.

And people wonder why I call her Aunt Nutty?

* A Note.

Although it seems I am making light of this situation, I certainly do not take the issue of stroke lightly and while I laughed it off at the time, the fact someone would make up a story like that horrified me. The amount of harm my Aunt Nutty has caused over the years with her lies and behaviour has caused an irreparable rift in our relationship. I simply cannot accept why the family indulge her in her lies. If it is a mental health issue, as my father claims, then why has it never been treated? Unfortunately, Aunt Nutty's dependency on unnecessary prescription medications has had a horrific impact on her health. It's a shame that such a beautiful, vibrant woman has had her life so horribly impacted, ironically by a strange desire to be sick all the time - to the point she'd communicate that she was terminally ill. While I forgave her for it a long time ago, I'll never forget the despair I felt when I heard my beloved Aunt was dying... and that it had to be kept a secret from my parents... only to be told later it was all a horrifying lie. If I had my time again I'd encourage my family to get her the help she needed - before it was too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment